Year of establishment: 1960
The Republic of Cyprus policy as regards to the Higher Education aims to establish Cyprus as a Regional and International Educational and Research Centre, a hub for international scholars and students alike.
1434, CYPRUS Ministry of Education, Sport and Youth -Department of Higher Education, Kimon and Thoukidides street, Nicosia, Cyprus
The Higher Education System in Cyprus is shaped by the European Higher Education Area, as outlined by the Bologna Process. Higher Education Institutions in Cyprus consist of Public and Private Universities, Public and Private Institutions of Higher Education.
Ten (10) Universities are legally registered in the Republic of Cyprus and operate within the European Union and International guidelines, concerning higher education issues, with particular attention to matters of quality assurance. These universities are:
- University of Cyprus - www.ucy.ac.cy
- Open University of Cyprus - www.ouc.ac.cy
- Cyprus University of Technology - www.cut.ac.cy
- Frederick University - www.frederick.ac.cy
- European University Cyprus - www.euc.ac.cy
- University of Nicosia - www.unic.ac.cy
- Neapolis University Pafos - www.nup.ac.cy
- University of Central Lancashire-Cyprus – www.uclancyprus.ac.cy
- Philips University – www.philipsuni.ac.cy
- American University of Cyprus- www.aucy.ac.cy
There is also a large number of Private and Public Institutions of Higher Education.
They offer a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes of study in Greek and English, implementing modern teaching methods of instruction.
Cyprus Institutions of Higher Education are all recognized by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus and, as a result, by the EU as well as non EU countries.
Further information is available on the official website of the Department of Higher Education of the Ministry of Education, Sport and Youth of the Republic of Cyprus: www.highereducation.ac.cy